HAI’s only show up in the news when there is a crisis. Within the last year, the two biggest stories have been the struggle with Ebola, and the recent superbug incidents on the West Coast.
The recent introduction of targeted therapies has led to improved patient survival, but only patients whose tumors have a specific genetic change are eligible for such treatments.
These fish actually hold on better to rough surfaces than to smooth ones, putting to shame industrial suction devices that give way with the slightest uneven surface.
Expanding the Mölnlycke Health Care surgical glove range, the Biogel PI Micro surgical glove offers new levels of comfort, flexibility and protection.
Surgical Products found the pulse of trends in the OR for this month's edition. It met with experts on topics like minimally-invasive surgery, opioids, OR management, preventing surgical site infections and more.
The 3M Steri-Vac Sterilizer/Aerator GS series uses 100 percent ethylene oxide (EO) in single-dose cartridges to safely, effectively, and economically sterilize heat- and moisture-sensitive equipment.
Surgical Products recently sat down with Patricia L. Turner, MD, FACS, Director of the Division of Member Services at the American College of Surgeons (ACS), to discuss the organization’s efforts to promote more of its benefits to grow the number of members, particularly amongst those in the beginning stages of their surgical careers.
The World Health Organization reports, of the total amount of waste generated by healthcare activities each year, about 80 percent is general waste and the other 20 percent is considered hazardous, meaning its infectious, toxic or radioactive.
Spectra254, Tru-D and Xenex all manufacture UV light disinfection products and took time to participate in a round table discussion about UV disinfection.
As more surgical robots are being released to the market, more than half of Surgical Products’ readers report working in a facility with one of these devices. This number was derived from a recent reader survey.
“There are a variety of things that we do to prevent surgical site infection,” a perioperative nursing specialist said, listing off tasks like maintaining positive air exchanges, wiping down equipment and using sterile techniques. “I think that every preoperative team member does everything they can to prevent surgical site infections in their patient and to keep them safe during surgery.”
“Change, by virtue of the fact it’s change, is always particularity challenging,” an industry expert said.
“Most surgeons throughout the country are now treating postoperative pain with as little amounts of opioids as possible, secondary to their addictive nature as well as a significant of opioids related adverse events that not only prolong stay, but can cause major complications,” a surgeon explained.
“I think the economic realities of today are such that surgeons are being asked to do more and more in their practices,” an expert said. “It’s hard to get away from your practice and commit to that ongoing training and education. I think that’s one barrier that’s out there that hasn’t been addressed.”