<em>Surgical Products</em> Surgeons of the Year Awards
The second annual Surgeons of the Year Awards highlights those individuals making a difference in the OR.
Aaron D. Bleznak, MD, FACS
- B.A. from Franklin & Marshall College (Lancaster, PA)
- Doctorate from Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University (Philadelphia)
- Member of the team that developed the Value Analysis Process currently utilized at Lehigh Valley Health Network. Since its inception, he has served as physician champion and Chair of the Committee
- Recognized by the Commission on Cancer for excellence in performance
- Former Pennsylvania State Chairman for the Commission on Cancer
- Currently one of 100 members of the Commission, representing the American College of Surgeons
- One of the initial members of the Pennsylvania Cancer Control Consortium, and received recognition for his role in writing the state cancer control plan
- Serves on the editorial board of Annals of Surgical Oncology
- AwardedAcademic Distinction in Medical Management from the American College of Physicians Executives
“Be passionate about your work, be it clinical or administrative. Allow yourself to care deeply about the patients you are treating. Be holistic in your approach to patient care, not just disease-focused. Get involved in committees, process improvement and administration. If you are not at the table, you can't make things better.
“Be a team player. Like a quarterback on the football team, surgeons receive too much credit and too much blame.
“Be intellectually honest and measure your outcomes. Without metrics, we cannot improve and our patients deserve continuous improvement. Only ask of others what you would do yourself and treat others as you would be treated."
From the nomination form: “Dr. Bleznak provides both excellent surgical and personalized patient care to his breast cancer patients. A patient under his care never feels rushed through the process, and is made to feel as if their needs are the most important.”