Maryland health officials have closed a cosmetic surgery center after three patients who had liposuction developed severe infections, including one who later died. The Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene on Wednesday ordered the closure of Monarch Med Spa in Timonium after the procedures, which took place from mid-August to mid-September.
The three patients contracted severe invasive Group A Streptococcus, or GAS, infections. Though most of the infections are considered mild, they can be fatal in cases in which bacteria infects the lungs or blood. Monarch Med Spa says it's cooperating with health authorities. It says it has been in business for eight years and performed thousands of procedures without complications.