A Connecticut woman was awarded $12 million by a Danbury Superior Court jury in a medical malpractice case late last week. Sixty-five-year-old Vivian Gagliano said a surgeon punctured her colon, resulting in permanent injuries, during a routine hernia operation.
According to information reported in a June 2 article in Insurance Journal, the surgical error that occured at Danbury Hospital caused her to go into a coma for a month, led to an abdominal infection, and forced her to undergo several additional procedures that left her without a significant portion of her large intestine.
Gagliano sued the hospital and two doctors, Venkata Bodavula and Joseph Gordon, in 2010.
According to Insurance Journal, Dansbury hospital officials take issue with the result of the trial and are considering an appeal.
Insurance Journal also reports that Bodavula was a surgical resident when he punctured Gagliano's colon. Gagliano’s attorney, Joshua Koskoff, also maintains his client was unaware a surgical resident would play an active part in the surgical procedure.
Meanwhile, Bodavula denies he was responsible for Gagliano’s injuries and blames Gordon.
Doctors didn’t know Gagliano’s colon was punctured until after her surgical wound was closed and she dealt with a serious abdominal infection that caused her to go into septic shock, have a heart attack, and deal with several other significant health issues.
Bodavula is now a hand surgeon in Missouri. Gordon settled claims against him prior to the jury trial. According to Insurance Journal, terms of Gordon’s settlement were not available.