High-Tech gown can help reduce surgical hypothermia complications, associated costs
October 28, 2009
The new Bair Paws Flex™ gown from Arizant Healthcare, Inc. not only fully covers patients, but also warms them before, during and after surgery with “forced-air warming”—a warmed stream of air flowing through the garment’s inserts. According to the company, features include:
- The ability to help hospitals comply with a new Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) patient warming quality measure.
- Incorporation of the world’s first patient warming gown and adjustable warming unit into one system.
- A soft flannel feeling and the ability to wrap completely around the body for full coverage.
- The ability for the gown to connect to the system’s warming unit, which blows warm air into the gown through specialized air channels with tiny perforations.
- The ability for the patient to adjust the temperature either warmer or cooler, depending on personal preference, using a handheld controller.
- Two warming inserts that allow for greater flexibility and easy positioning in the O.R.
- The ability for the same gown that prewarms patients to be used in surgery as either an upper- or lower-body blanket, depending on the procedure, allowing a single product to address most warming needs.
- The ability before surgery for the Bair Paws gown and warming unit “prewarm” patients, adding to the body’s heat content.
- This additional warmth helps to offset some of the temperature drop associated with anesthesia induction, which can fall nearly 1.6 °C4 within the first hour of surgery, putting a patient in a hypothermic range.
- The ability, as the gown travels with the patient into the operating room, to be connected to a more powerful Bair Hugger® warming unit, which provides clinical warmth to keep patients at a normal body temperature.
- After surgery, the patient can be warmed in recovery and once conscious, patients can again utilize the handheld controller to maintain their own thermal comfort.
For more information, visit www.arizant.com