Xodus Medical, Inc. provides a safe solution to ensure healthcare worker safety in the operating room—the Safety Scalpel system. According to the company, the system is designed to meet the OSHA Engineering and Work Practice Controls and helps to minimize the risk of scalpel injury during an operating room procedure from prep, to procedure, through blade disposal. The system offers:
- A suite of products with an innovative new design that integrates a patented system of a reusable stainless steel handle, and a single use, retractable safety cartridge blade cover housing a high-grade stainless steel blade.
- One handed, single finger operation for opening, retraction, and ejection disposal of the safety cartridge.
- Availability in different sizes of handles that accept a wide variety of blade designs and integrates a metric ruler for incision recording.
- Implementation of a color-coded system for the safety cartridges to determine through the translucent case which of the wide variety of blade configurations are resident.
- A complete view of scalpel blade with the cartridge cover retracted, enabling the surgeon to maintain a line of site focus on the surgical site and blade with the cartridge cover out of the way.
- Teflon coated, stainless steel handle ensures smooth activation/retraction/ejection of blade cartridge.
- A handle that provides the same length, weight and shape as traditional scalpel handles
- The same “feel” and center of gravity.
- Easy mounting of the cartridge to the handle and the cartridge “locks” in place.
- Separate cartridge ejection button to ensure an added layer of safety