Vitagel Surgical Hemostat is a FDA approved Class III medical device used to control bleeding and facilitate healing while utilizing the patient's own biology. Vitagel is the only product of its kind to combine microfibrillar collagen and thrombin in combination with the patient's own plasma (fibrinogen and platelets). This combination produces an effective and safe hemostat by forming a collagen/fibrin scaffold with platelets. Vitagel has been shown to be effective in controlling bleeding during orthopaedic, cardiac, hepatic and general surgical procedures. According to the company’s website, Vitagel benefits include:
- Autologous blood source - no risk of viral transmission.
- Only requires ~10 mL's of blood.
- FDA approved as a surgical hemostat.
- Easily prepared by the OR staff in 5-7 minutes.
- Can be prepared without needles.
- Delivery applicators designed not to clog.
- No capital equipment expense.
For more information, visit www.orthovita.com