Adhesive Seals Out Bacteria
ETHICON Products offers the DERMABOND Topical Skin Adhesive (2-octyl cyanoacrylate) that can act as a barrier against bacterial microbes. The microbial barrier provided by DERMABOND Adhesive seals out the most common infection-causing bacteria, including certain staph, pseudomonas and E. coli. According to the company, DERMABOND Adhesive is a liquid topical skin adhesive that features:
- The ability to be used to close surgical incisions and traumatic lacerations without stitches or staples.
- The ability to act as a barrier to microbial penetration as long as the adhesive film remains intact, according to new labeling approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- According to in vitro studies, the ability to be 99 percent effective in protecting against the following bacteria: Staphylococcus epidermidis, Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Enterococcus faecium. Product labeling has been changed to include information about its ability to act as a microbial barrier.
- The ability to provide excellent cosmetic results similar to those of suturing, while providing patients with a fast and relatively painless closure, according to research studies.
- Cost savings resulting from reduced physician and ancillary services, fewer surgical supplies and reduced equipment needs, and elimination of the need for suture removal.
- The ability to be liquid applied topically to the easily approximated edges of a laceration or incision - skin edges that can be placed directly against each other. It can be used in conjunction with, but not in place of, subcuticular sutures.
- The ability for a physician, when closing a wound, to first clean the laceration or incision, then holds its edges together and applies the adhesive to the skin using a light, brushing stroke, repeating this three times.
- The ability to provide the strength of healed tissue at seven days.
- A moist wound-healing environment, which promotes quicker and more complete healing. DERMABOND Adhesive naturally sloughs off the skin in five to ten days.
- Does not produce suture or "track" marks along the healed incision and unlike stitches, a patient can shower right away without fear of compromising the incision.
For more information visit www.dermabond.com