Addressing the rising concern about surgical site infections caused by Staphylococcus aureus (S. aureus), including methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), 3M introduces the 3M™ Skin and Nasal Antiseptic (Povidone-Iodine Solution 5% w/w (0.5% available iodine) USP) Patient Preoperative Skin Preparation. According to the company, the product offers:
- The ability, as shown in clinical studies, to kill 99.5 percent of S. aureus in the nares in one hour and maintains that level for at least twelve hours, an important benefit for patients undergoing surgery who may be at risk for infection.
- A designed to be used in the preoperative process, to be applied an hour before surgery.
- A solution of film-forming materials that enable the active ingredient to remain in the nares and efficiently coat and adhere to mucosal tissue where bacteria reside. This is important because the unique physiology of the nose presents many challenges not seen on the skin. The nose works continuously to clear foreign particles and microorganisms making it difficult for antimicrobials to reach and kill bacteria.
- Packaging in an easy-to-open 4 mL bottle with swabs.
- Swabs that are designed to fit comfortably into nostrils while providing good coverage of the nasal passage and nares with minimal dripping or running.
For more information, visit www.3M.com/infectionprevention